Monday, August 01, 2005

Goodbye KMail, Hello Thunderbird

I've been using KMail for around 18 long months now, although not intensively, and I have encountered bugs, crashes and such on many occasions. Yesterday, while I was moving my data from my PC to my laptop (in order to sell the former), I asked myself why not give Thunderbird a try? This happened while I was trying to figure out where the KMail developers managed to move this time the local mail directory between versions 1.7 and 1.8 (this already happened somewhere between versions 1.6 and 1.7).

So, I did the move today. I attempted to export my local mail from KMail to Thunderbird via my ISP's IMAP server. KMail gave me a super nice goodbye present by miserably creating only the root directory on the distant server and successfully deleting the whole local mail. Alright, what Mr KMail didn't know is that I did the backup before. However, in order to export I had to recreate the whole arborescence on the IMAP server and export directories one by one. I decided eventually to keep that mail on the server and not to import it to Thunderbird.

I like in Thunderbird the possibility to share mail between Linux and Windows while on dual boot, although I don't know if I'll ever need it (you can likewise share Firefox's bookmarks by the way). Most of all, I can now read Planet Arabeyes' posts in Thunderbird as though they were mere emails ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home